December 30, 2020
SPECIAL CONGREGATIONAL EVENTS in our PASTORAL CALL PROCESS: Please join in three events to elect a pastor:
- A meet-and-greet Zoom event with the pastoral candidate,
- Worship Service led by the candidate, and
- A special congregational meeting to vote on the acceptance of the candidate and the associated salary package.
Since we can’t have a coffee hour with the candidate, we have scheduled a fun Zoom meet-and-greet with the candidate and congregation on Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 4 p.m. The link for the meet-and-greet is https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85071945875?pwd=bHFUQmo0eE54OTNPbWtWc09IRGRCUT09 Please note that the meet-and-greet is a time for us to get to know the candidate and for the candidate to get to know us. It is not the time for interview-style questions which should be held until the meeting the following day. During this virtual meet-and-greet, our candidate will host an interactive game using the game Kahoot. You can download the Kahoot app to your smart phone or you can access the game via your computer from the web address: https://kahoot.it/ It helps if you access the game from a device other than the one you will use for the Zoom meeting. The meet-and-greet will be recorded and posted online for viewing by those who cannot attend.
The candidate being proposed by Council will conduct the worship service for that Sunday, January 10th. The recorded worship service will be posted online Saturday evening following the meet-and-greet. You may access the virtual worship service in the typical fashion via our website. The video recording will remain available for viewing at any time prior to the meeting.
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 10:30 a.m., a special congregational meeting will be conducted via Zoom to elect a pastor. The link for the meeting is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81187891003?pwd=a2c0eDAvTFpCTUMxanpWWTBRQlpnZz09 All voting members of the congregation are eligible to participate in the voting at the meeting and are urged to be present. Absentee voting is not permitted. A resume of the candidate will be presented at the meeting. The vote will be taken by secret ballot via Google forms in the same manner that we voted during the annual congregational meeting in December. A two-thirds majority of voting members present is required for the election of a pastor. A representative from the Office of the Bishop will preside at this meeting. Please attend or watch the social hour and watch the worship service before attending the meeting on January 10.
- LWLC YOUTH SUNDAY SCHOOL: LWLC is providing a weekly faith education opportunity to school-age children through Cross Roads Camp. The Bold Transformational Faith program is on Sunday afternoon at 4:00PM and offers an opportunity for kids in grades K-8 to engage with children from other congregations for worship, singing, and faith forming activities using a digital format. The program is offered at no cost to families. If you have children or grandchildren who might be interested, please contact Susan Gill (ecksgill @comcast.net) for more information. Children in 3rd grade and younger require must be accompanied by an adult from their household.
- LWLC Reverse Advent Calendar. After Christmas: Delivery! For our Advent Reverse Calendar participants, it’s time to take a picture of your full box if you want to share your photo with us and then deliver it to your local food pantry. You can share your photo on our Facebook or email it to us. Thank you for participating: “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”
- DIAPER DRIVE: For our 2020 Advent/Christmas Service Project, Living Waters will once again have a Diaper Drive/Brief Bonanza for the United Way of Hunterdon County Diaper Bank. The drive starts now and ends at Epiphany. Check out all the information at the bottom of this email.
- FOOD DONATIONS: Please remember we are collecting food for the food pantry in bin outside the church. You can drop it outside the church any day that works for you.
BOOK CLUB: February 4, 2021 at 7pm on Zoom. We will be discussing a very uplifting book! “Our Better Angels,” by Jonathan Reckford (CEO of Habitat for Humanity) with a Forward by Jimmy Carter. Some quotes from the book: “Ordinary people can accomplish extraordinary things.” “If we practice these virtues of kindness, community, empowerment, joy, respect, generosity, and service, we can let go of our self-interested desires and instead become adept at finding common ground.” “Practicing kindness can change our brains.” For more information contact: Barbara Hofler at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 908-415-1337
STEWARDSHIP: Faithful Expectations 2021 Stewardship Program: Letter was put in the mail this week kicking off Living Waters 2021 stewardship program. The generosity of the Living Waters is a corner stone of our community and even with the unique 2020 year this has continued to be a strength of Living Waters. As we get ready for an exciting 2021 where we look forward to coming back to an expanded building where our community, learning, and service work can flourish once we can again gather safely. We are looking to get the congregations replies in short order (by Sun Dec 6th) so if you have any questions about what you receive in the letter please reach out to Tyler Rice (Tylerrice3@yahoo.com or 908-458-3727).
CONSTRUCTION PROJECT: All scheduled items posted last week have pushed the project completion to 90%. This week’s project events: We are waiting for the above the ceiling inspection for Electric on Thursday (last week was above ceiling structural) Final coat of wall paint applied. Second coat of paint applies to window trim. Internal Flex room tempered glass windows(3) installed. Internal vestibule metal double doors installed. Ceiling tiles installed pending a positive ceiling inspection. Rest Room Accessories (not fixtures) installed. Pending Next Week: Floor & internal construction cleanup. Advent Hall floor tile install. Flex Room carpet installation. Rest room fixtures installed. Project to date punch list items.
- Vera, 2 yr old with acute leukemia, Bob Chilcoat’s great-niece.
- Peter Hoeltje, in ICU with double pneumonia and COVID-19, Herb Rottner's uncle.
- Katherine Smiley loved ones grieving her death, Becky Resch’s grandmother.
- Brenda Hala's mom hospitalized with coronavirus.
- Martje Nickel, recently hospitalized for pneumonia now being transferred to rehab
- The Wagner family as we worry about an extended family member who has COVID symptoms.
- Eric Sr. and Suzanne Mayersky , both suffer with COVID. Eric’s parents.
- Cathy who is very sick with Covid. Mercedes’ aunt
- Brenda Overcash’s friend Louise Martin long-term struggle with cancer.
- Linda Horta to the prayer list. Chris Kirsche’s cousin has stage 4 lung cancer.
- Elizabeth Coleman: Steve and Diane with Covid
- Pastor Lee, her wife Dori and Dori’s mom Ginger recovering from Covid.
- Linda who’s breast cancer has returned and spread to some bones and her liver (Mercedes family friend).
- Lisa Barker, starting chemo and radiation. Friend of Christine Peterson.
- The Albrecht family, especially Cecelia as she continues to grow and thrive.
- Diane Orehosky going through chemo treatments for Lymphoma (Linda Laube's friend),
- Izzie and her mother; friends dealing with unknown debilitating health issues. (Christine Peterson)
- Dave Wirth, his wife, family and doctors; as they deal with a recurrence of cancer. (former members at Good Shepherd, Somerville),
- Kallan, spiritual guidance (C. Kosmac niece),
- Bill Reiter, Winnie Fatton’s brother-in-law who has cancer, and her sister, Mary Ann Reiter, Bill’s caregiver,
- Brand Kahler Jr., Shannen's dad,
- Pastor Bruce's sister, Betty Fink, she is in hospice care in a memory care facility in Pennsylvania.
Please email officeLWLC@yahoo.com if you would like someone added to the prayer list.
COMING EVENTS: Calendar - detailed calendar format
SHOUT OUTS: This week’s Shout Out goes out to everyone who made the in-person Christmas Eve Service happen: Pastor Scott, Vicar Jamie, Terry Welsh, Shannen Hemmel, the Worship Team and Bruce & Don for donating the pre-lit tree.
Don’t forget about our food collection bin outside the church. You can drop it outside the church any day that works for you.
If YOU have a Shout Out that needs to be publicized….reply to this email and let us know. Thanks
PRAYER CHAIN: If someone has an urgent prayer concern, they can ask that their prayer be sent out on the Prayer-Chain. If you would like to be part of the Prayer-Chain group, please email officeLWLC@yahoo.com or let Cindy Cooper know as Congregational Care team leader.
ON-LINE GIVING: Living Waters Provides Various Giving Options; Online, Check & Plate: In these current times we would like to let you know about a free mobile secure app provided by our Simply Giving partner Vanco GivePlus (Give+). The app provides for various options of giving (e.g. recurring, one time, via a credit card, from your bank account ...) and would encourage you to explore them by clicking the link below. If you have any questions about electronic giving options at Living Waters please go to our website at https://www.lwlc-flemington.org/give-online or contact Tom Kull at (609-213-2729 or email@example.com)
CHARITABLE SHOPPING: If you do any of your online shopping at Amazon.com, DON'T! Instead, shop at smile.amazon.com, and designate Living Waters Lutheran Church, or another favorite charity (you can only designate one charity per account). Amazon will donate a small portion of your purchase towards Living Waters anytime you start your shopping at smile.amazon.com. Thank you for supporting Living Waters Lutheran Church by shopping at smile.amazon.com. It's a simple and easy way to support Living Waters, while taking care of your shopping needs. Any questions? Please ask Craig Weinrich.
THRIVENT: Anyone attending Living Waters can become a Thrivent benefit member or Thrivent associate member. One can become a Thrivent benefit member by purchasing a Thrivent product (life insurance, annuity, etc.) or become a Thrivent associate member by paying $19.95 annual dues (associate membership from can be found on the Thrivent website www.Thrivent.com or you can call our local Thrivent representative, Scott Curtis, at 1- 888-399-5611. A Thrivent benefit member is eligible for two $250 Thrivent Action Team grants annually. A Thrivent associate member is eligible for a $250 Thrivent Action grant each year (for your investment of $19.95 Thrivent provides $250 for a Living Waters Service project).
PRAYER REQUESTS: To update or add a prayer to our Sunday bulletin, please email your request to Chris Kosmac at: firstname.lastname@example.org
COMMUNITY PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
FLEMINGTON AREA FOOD PANTRY: Flemington Area Food Pantry current needs: bars of soap, toilet paper, cereal, and pasta. If you are able, they really could use a monetary donation. They are still serving the community with a drive thru system. If you are able to help, they can receive donations on Monday through Thursday, from 9 am-12 noon. They are located behind the Walmart on Route 31. In addition, there are opportunities to help at the Flemington Area Food Pantry. Here is the sign up link:
DELAWARE VALLEY FOOD PANTRY: As the holidays approach, we need both food and cash donations. Below are food items we need; also we will be giving out toys to needy children on December 5 and could use some cash donations to enable us to buy toys. Our mailing address is: P.O. Box 705, Lambertville, NJ 08530. Food Items: Canned yams, Spices, Cereal, Tuna, Beef Stew, Snacks, Cake Mix, Flour, Pancake Mix, Syrup, Fruit Juice, Shampoo, Deodorant, Toothpaste, Tomato – small cans, Chili, Diapers – sz 4,5,6, Wipes, Mens, womens, childrens: Hats, Scarves, Gloves, Warm socks
For our 2020 Advent/Christmas Service Project, Living Waters will once again have a Diaper Drive/Brief Bonanza for the United Way of Hunterdon County Diaper Bank. The drive starts now and ends at Epiphany. This year it will be different - no dropping off of items at church.
Ways to give include:
UWHC Diaper Bank's Amazon Wish List Registry - CLICK HERE
If donating via their Amazon Wish List, you can type "from Living Waters Lutheran Church" in the gift message if you like.
Drop off at the UWHC Community Volunteer Center at 20 Fulper Rd, Flemington NJ 08822 (near the Unity Bank next to the RR track) Monday-Thursday 9:30am-5pm.
Mail a check to Living Waters or United Way of Hunterdon County, and you can write "UWHC Diaper Bank from Living Waters" in the memo line if you like. Mailing address for UWHC is
Amy Andersen, Program Manager
UWHC Community Volunteer Center
20 Fulper Road
Flemington, NJ 08822
Adults needs include:
Medium Depends for Women and Men (most popular size right now and we need quite a bit monthly!)
Regular length maximum absorbency pads (size 6) (very high priority item)
Guards for men (men's version of the pad) (requested by clients)
Small and Large Depends for men/women (less requested, but we do get requests)
Baby needs include:
Size 4, 5, and 6 diapers (most requested is size 6)
Any questions - contact Judy Segers at email@example.com